The Maltese Falcon (Special Edition) (3-DVD)
|BLACK FRIDAY:||$19.98 Sale ends Nov 29|
|You Save:||$9.94 (33% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 2-5 business days
- Number of Discs: 3
- Rated: Unrated
- Run Time: 4 hours, 12 minutes
- Video: Black & White
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Released: October 3, 2006
- Originally Released: 1941
- Label: Warner Home Video
- 3-Disc Set
- Special Edition
Disc 1: THE MALTESE FALCON
- Aspect Ratio: Full Frame - 1.33
- Dolby Digital Mono - English
- Subtitles - English, French, Spanish - Optional
- Additional Release Material:
- Audio Commentary: Eric Lax - Bogart Biographer
- Oscar Nominated Technicolor Music Short - The Gay Parisian
- Hiawatha's Rabbit Hunt
- Meet John Doughboy
- The Maltese Falcon
- Seargent York (1941)
Performers, Cast and Crew:
|Starring||Humphrey Bogart & Mary Astor|
|Performer:||Gladys George, Peter Lorre, Sydney Greenstreet, Ward Bond, Elisha Cook, Jr., Barton MacLane, Lee Patrick, Jerome Cowan, James Burke, Murray Alper, John Hamilton, Emory Parnell, Robert Homans, Creighton Hale, Charles Drake, William Hopper, Hank Mann & Jack Mower|
|Directed by||John Huston|
|Edited by||Thomas Richards|
|Screenwriting by||John Huston|
|Composition by||Adolph Deutsch|
|Story by||Dashiell Hammett|
|Produced by||Henry Blanke|
|Director of Photography:||Arthur Edeson|
Memorable Quotes and Dialog:
"When you're slapped, you'll take it and like it!"
- Sam Spade (Humphrey Bogart) to Cairo (Peter Lorre)
"Don't be too sure I'm as crooked as I'm supposed to be."
- Spade to Brigid O'Shaugnessy (Mary Astor)
"The stuff that dreams are made of."
...FALCON is the archetypal American detective yarn...
5 stars out of 5 -- This is pure essence of film noir -- essentially starting the genre...
Rating: 9/10 -- It is a film that somehow started Film Noir and yet was also its peak. It is a film that should be beloved by all, not just Film Studies tutors. Full Review
...The real spark in this suavest of mysteries is provided by its eccentric collection of villains... -- 5 out of 5 stars
...Huston's strategy is crafty....It's all style. It isn't violence or chases, but the way the actors look, move, speak and embody their characters...
Rating: 10/10 -- Arguably the best detective movie ever made in Hollywood. Full Review
Antagony & Ecstasy
Rating: 5/5 -- The Maltese Falcon feels evergreen, not so much in style or attitude but in mood. Full Review
Hard-drinking private eye Sam Spade (Humphrey Bogart) sleuths the backyard of San Francisco in search of an elusive black bird statuette while evading the setups of three disparate miscreants: the duplicitous Brigid, the perfumed Mr. Cairo, and the scheming Fat Man. John Huston's brilliant directorial debut is aided by first-rate performances, excellent camera work, as well as the director's acute attention to detail while shooting the film. Based on the crime novel by Dashiell Hammett. Academy Award Nominations: 3, including Best Picture, Best Supporting Actor (Sydney Greenstreet), and Best Screenplay. Previous versions of the story were filmed in 1931 (a.k.a. DANGEROUS FEMALE) and in 1936 (as SATAN MET A LADY, starring Bette Davis), and poorly redone in 1975 (THE BLACK BIRD).
Action | Detectives | Classic | Mystery | Thriller | Betrayal | Film Noir | Recommended | Essential Cinema
- THE MALTESE FALCON was an original selection to the Library of Congress National Film Registry in 1989.
- Dashiell Hammett's novel was first adapted for the screen in 1931. Known alternately as "The Maltese Falcon" and "Dangerous Female," this version was directed by Roy del Ruth and starred Bebe Daniels, Ricardo Cortez, Dudley Digges, Robert Elliott, Thelma Todd, Una Merkel, and Dwight Frye.
In 1936, a second adaptation appeared. The William Dieterle film, "Satan Met a Lady," featured Bette Davis, Warren William, Alison Skipworth, and Arthur Treacher.
After years of screenwriting, John Huston made his directorial debut with "Falcon." His father, actor Walter Huston, has a cameo in the film.
- Sydney Greenstreet made his sound-film debut with "Falcon." He was previously a member of the Lunt-Fontaine theater troupe.
- Mary Astor and Humphrey Bogart were cited by the National Board of Review for their acting achievement in "The Maltese Falcon."
- A colorized version of the film is also available.
- Sales Rank: 47,857
- UPC: 012569676015
- Shipping Weight: 0.46/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 3 items
Sons of Kong: 10 Full-Length Movies on 3-DVDs (3D Pop-Up... TOP 25 Bestselling DVD
$2.98 BLACK FRIDAY
Sword-and-Sandal Double Feature: Goliath and the Sins of...
$5.95 BLACK FRIDAY
The Treasure of Jamaica Reef (1974) / Piranha (1972)
$5.95 BLACK FRIDAY