|MASSIVE CD SALE:||$13.60|
|You Save:||$0.35 (3% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 3-5 business days
- Released: October 17, 1989
- Originally Released: 1989
- Label: Mercury
- $0.99 on iTunes1.Rise to It
- $0.99 on iTunes2.Betrayed
- $1.29 on iTunes3.Hide Your Heart
- $0.99 on iTunes4.Prisoner of Love
- $0.99 on iTunes5.Read My Body
- $0.99 on iTunes6.Love's a Slap in the Face
- $1.29 on iTunes7.Forever
- $0.99 on iTunes8.Silver Spoon
- $0.99 on iTunes9.Cadillac Dreams
- $0.99 on iTunes10.King of Hearts
- $0.99 on iTunes11.The Street Giveth and the Street Taketh Away
- $0.99 on iTunes12.You Love Me to Hate You
- $0.99 on iTunes13.Somewhere Between Heaven & Hell
- $0.99 on iTunes14.Little Caesar
- $0.99 on iTunes15.Boomerang
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
Kiss: Paul Stanley (vocals, guitar); Gene Simmons (vocals, bass); Bruce Kulick (guitar); Eric Carr (drums).
Recorded at The Fortress, Hollywood, California.
Personnel: Ace Frehley, Paul Stanley (vocals, electric guitar, background vocals); Gene Simmons (vocals, electric bass, background vocals); Peter Criss (vocals, drums, background vocals); Phillip Ashley (keyboards); Charlotte Crossley, Valerie Pinkston-Mayo, Kim Edwards-Brown (background vocals).
Audio Mixer: Dave Wittman.
Recording information: Fortress, Hollywood, CA (07/1989-08/1989).
Unknown Contributor Roles: Eric Carr; Bruce Kulick.
Continuing in the same vein as many of Kiss' '80s releases, HOT IN THE SHADE picks up where CRAZY NIGHTS left off. Although a pop metal record, this album benefited from Paul Stanley and Gene Simmons taking a more organic approach, as opposed to the Ron Nevison-produced, keyboard-laden NIGHTS. The technique works, as this is a straight-ahead hard rock album with minimal keyboards, but with effective touches of acoustic guitar and brass.
Leadoff track "Rise To It" is typical Paul Stanley fare: upbeat, guitar-infested sex rock. "Hide Your Heart" was the first single and the standout track on the album. A funky mid-tempo number written by Stanley, Desmond Child and Holly Knight, the song was also covered by Ace Frehley and Bonnie Tyler. Gene Simmons goes country on "Cadillac Dreams," complete with slide guitar and horns. The acoustic ballad "Forever" was a top 10 smash for the group and was written by Paul Stanley and Michael Bolton. After eight years as the group's drummer, Eric Carr made his lead vocal debut on "Little Ceasar." An above average hard rock album that combined some atypical elements, HOT IN THE SHADE is definitely worth purchasing.