Doctor Zhivago [Deluxe Edition]
Turbulent were the times and fiery was the love story of Zhivago, his wife and the passionate, tender Lara.
|You Save:||$0.48 (3% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 3-5 business days
- Rated: PG-13
- Run Time: 3 hours, 20 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: January 4, 2011
- Originally Released: 1965
- Label: Warner Home Video
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Note: Commentary by Omar Sharif, Rod Steiger and Sandra Lean
- New commemorative tow-part 45th anniversary retrospective Doctor Zhivago: A Celebration
- Aspect Ratio: Widescreen
- Dolby Digital 2.0 Surround - English, French, Spanish
- Dolby Digital 5.1 - English, French, Spanish
- Subtitles - English
Performers, Cast and Crew:
|Starring||Julie Christie & Omar Sharif|
|Performer:||Geraldine Chaplin, Alec Guinness, Tom Courtenay, Siobhan McKenna, Ralph Richardson, Rod Steiger, Rita Tushingham, Klaus Kinski, Adrienne Corri, Geoffrey Keen & Noel Willman|
|Directed by||David Lean|
|Edited by||Norman Savage|
|Written by||Robert Bolt|
|Composition by||Maurice Jarre|
|Cinematography by||Freddie Young|
|Art Direction by||Terence Marsh|
|Produced by||Carlo Ponti|
Academy Awards 1965 - Best Adapted Screenplay: Robert Bolt
Academy Awards 1965 - Best Art Direction - Set Decoration (Color)
Academy Awards 1965 - Best Cinematography: Freddie Young
Academy Awards 1965 - Best Costume Design (Color)
Academy Awards 1965 - Best Original Score: Maurice Jarre
[T]he cast is aces across the board....Even better: cinematographer Freddie Young's wide-screen shots, which capture the snowy steppes with the same haunting beauty he found in the desert on Lean's previous film...
The best one can say of Doctor Zhivago is that it is an honest failure. Full Review
Monthly Film Bulletin
...Rod Steiger gives one of the performances of his career...
Rating: 4/5 -- Maurice Jarre's music is as beguiling as ever and Lean squeezes all the pathos that he can out of the romance between Sharif's Yuri Zhivago and Julie Christie's febrile and gorgeous Lara Antipova. Full Review
Epic seems too small a word for the sweeping ambition and romance of Doctor Zhivago. Full Review
...It influenced fashion and inspired men to grow mustaches....It also launched a best-selling soundtrack album of Maurice Jarre's score and made a superstar of Julie Christie...
...still the best epic around... Full Review
David Lean's DOCTOR ZHIVAGO is an exploration of the Russian Revolution as seen from the point of view of the intellectual, introspective title character (Omar Sharif). As the political landscape changes, and the Czarist regime comes to an end, Dr. Zhivago's relationships reflect the political turmoil raging about him. Though he is married, the vagaries of war lead him to begin a love affair with the beautiful Lara (Julie Christie). But he cannot escape the machinations of a band of selfish and cruel characters: General Strelnikov (Tom Courtenay), a Bolshevik General; Komarovsky (Rod Steiger), Lara's former lover; and Yevgraf (Alec Guinness), Zhivago's sinister half-brother. This epic, sweeping romance, told in flashback, captures the lushness of Moscow before the war and the violent social upheaval that followed. The film is based on the Pulitzer Prize-winning novel by Boris Pasternak.
Politics | War | Love Story | History | Epic | Recommended | Period Piece | Theatrical Release | Essential Cinema
- Shot in Panavision.
- Co-produced by Carlo Ponti Productions.
- Writer Boris Pasternak won the Nobel Prize for his novel, but refused to accept the award.
- Soviet director Sergei Eisenstein's film "Potemkin" provided inspiration for David Lean, who allegedly based the massacre scenes in "Zhivago" on that revolutionary classic.
- Originally rated MPAA GP.
- DVD Special Features: "Making-Of" Featurette, New Dolby Digital 5.1 Soundtrack,
Dual-Layer Format for Interruption Free Playback, 8-Page Trivia Booklet, and Special Reissue Trailer.
- Sales Rank: 1,851
- UPC: 883929120345
- Shipping Weight: 0.16/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item