|SUPER SAVINGS:||$17.30 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$2.68 (13% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 3-5 business days
- Rated: PG
- Run Time: 2 hours, 11 minutes
- Video: Color
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Released: June 19, 2007
- Originally Released: 1974
- Label: Warner Home Video
- Aspect Ratio: Full Frame - 1.33
- Aspect Ratio: Widescreen - 2.39
- Mono 1.0 English
Performers, Cast and Crew:
|Starring||Lucille Ball, Bea Arthur, Robert Preston, Bruce Davison, Jane Connell & Joyce Van Patten|
|Performer:||Ned Wertimer, Don Porter, Audrey Christie, John McGiver, Patrick Labyorteaux, Lucille Benson, Ruth McDevitt & Barbara Bosson|
|Directed by||Gene Saks|
|Edited by||Maury Winetrobe|
|Music by||Jerry Herman|
|Screenplay by||Paul Zindel|
|Art Direction by||Harold Michelson|
|Produced by||Robert Fryer & James Cresson|
|Director of Photography:||Philip H. Lathrop|
Rating: 3/5 -- Overstuffed, but the music's still great.
Rating: 1.5/5 -- best left on the shelf. Full Review
Mame is an over-sized helping of oldfashioned, clean, wholesome fun, if that's your idea of a good time. I suppose it's mine, sort of. Full Review
Los Angeles Free Press
Rating: 3/5 -- The fine music elevates this above miscast Lucy's negatives.
Lucille Ball stars as Auntie Mame, an eccentric and wealthy woman who teaches her young orphaned nephew how to live life to the fullest. Based on the popular stage play. Featured songs include "Mame," "If He Walked Into My Life," and "We Need a Little Christmas."
Extravagant film adaptation of the Broadway musical comedy about an orphaned boy who goes to live with his Aunt Mame, an eccentric, free-spirited New York sophisticate.
- "Mame" was Lucille Ball's last feature film appearance. Rosalind Russell, Angela Lansbury, and Ginger Rogers all played the character "Mame" before Ball.
- Bea Arthur also played the role of "Vera" in the Broadway musical, for which she won a Tony.
- The story of "Mame" first appeared as a Patrick Dennis novel in 1955. The novel was adapted for the Broadway stage as a straight play in 1956 by Jerome Lawrence and Robert E. Lee.
The first film adaptation appeared in 1958, as "Auntie Mame." It was directed by Morton DaCosta from a Betty Comden-Adolph Green screenplay and starred Rosalind Russell, Forrest Tucker, Coral Browne, Fred Clark, Roger Smith, Patric Knowles, Peggy Cass, Joanna Barnes, Pippa Scott, Lee Patrick, Willard Waterman, and Connie Gilchrist.
Lawrence and Lee also wrote the book for the 1966 stage musical, which featured a Jerry Herman score.
- Additional cast members: Doris Cook (as Gloria Upson), Bobbi Jordan (Pegeen), and George Chang (Ito).
- Filmed in Technicolor and Panavision.
Guess Who's Coming to Dinner (40th Anniversary Ed.) (2-DVD)
$12.60 Super Savings
Harlem Double Feature: Hi De Ho (1947) / Duke Is Tops (1938)
$5.95 on Sale
Harlem Double Feature: Jivin' In Be Bop (1946) / Beware...
$5.95 on Sale