Earthmen on a fabulous, peril-journey into outer space!
|You Save:||$0.48 (3% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 3-5 business days
- Rated: G
- Run Time: 1 hours, 38 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: December 7, 2010
- Originally Released: 1956
- Label: Warner Home Video
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Note: Additional scenes
- Lost footage
- Excerpts from the MGM Parade TV series
- The Thin Man TV series Robot Client
- Science-Fiction movie trailer gallery
- Dual Layer
- Aspect Ratio: Widescreen
- Dolby Digital 5.1 - English, French
Performers, Cast and Crew:
|Starring||Walter Pidgeon, Anne Francis, Leslie Nielsen & Warren Stevens|
|Performer:||Earl Holliman, Jack Kelly, Richard Anderson, George D. Wallace, James Drury, Harry Harvey, Jr., Bob Dix & Jimmie Thompson|
|Featured:||Robby the Robot|
|Directed by||Fred M. Wilcox|
|Edited by||George Folsey, Jr. & Ferris Webster|
|Screenwriting by||Cyril Hume|
|Composition by||Bebe Barron & Louis Barron|
|Produced by||Nicholas Nayfack|
|Director of Photography:||George J. Folsey|
Rating: 5/5 -- The tragicomic tone would have done the Bard proud, and at even only 98 minutes, Forbidden Planet is positively epic. Full Review
[A]n irresistible blend of the sublime and the silly....[With] magnificent galazy scapes...[and[ colorful futuristic interiors...
[A] nifty interstellar meller. Full Review
4 stars out of 5 -- [A] sci-fi landmark....[With] ambitious FX and an innovative electro-score...
Rating: 4/5 -- Classic '50s sci-fi flick is campy fun. Full Review
Common Sense Media
Rating: 4/5 -- No wonder so many sci-fi writers have cited it as an inspiration, I can see how this film would spark a lot of imagination back then, or even now. Great stuff. Full Review
5 stars out of 5 -- FORBIDDEN PLANET is a feast for the eyes....This definitive Science Fiction movie has really never looked better...
Shakespeare's THE TEMPEST is transformed in this landmark science-fiction film. Spacemen travel to a planet ruled by Dr. Edward Morbius (Walter Pidgeon), who has built a kingdom with his daughter and obedient robot Robby. The good doctor is plagued by his mad quest for knowledge through his "brain booster" machine, and by Freudian "monsters from the id" as his daughter discovers other men and learns to kiss.
Classic | Monsters | Science-Fiction | Space Exploration | Robots / Cyborgs | Recommended | Essential Cinema
- Color by Eastmancolor. Shot in CinemaScope.
- "Electronic tonalities" by Louis and Bebe Barron.
- Joshua Meador, who worked on the special effects team, was loaned to MGM by Walt Disney Productions.
- The story is loosely based on Shakespeare's classic play "The Tempest."
- Rated BBFC U by the British Board of Film Censors.