The Little Mermaid (Blu-ray + DVD)
Somewhere under the sea and beyond your imagination is an adventure in fantasy.
|You Save:||$2.99 (7% Off)|
Currently Out of Stock: We'll get more as soon as possible
Format: Blu-ray (2 Discs)
- Number of Discs: 2
- Rated: G
- Run Time: 1 hours, 23 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: February 26, 2019
- Originally Released: 1989
- Label: Walt Disney Video
- Blu-ray/DVD Features:
- Encoding: Region A
- Note: Alan Menken & The Leading Ladies: Iconic Disney Leading Ladies share their musical memories
- Sing-Along Mode
- "What I Want From You Is...Your Voice"
- An inside look at the cast's original recording sessions
- Stories from Walt's office: Gadgets & Gizmos
- Aspect Ratio: Widescreen - 1.78
- Dolby Digital 5.1 - English, French, Spanish
- DTS HD Master Audio - English, French, Spanish
- Subtitles - English, French, Spanish
Performers, Cast and Crew:
|Directed by||Ron Clements & John Musker|
|Edited by||Mark Hester|
|Screenwriting by||John Musker & Ron Clements|
|Original story by||Hans Christian Andersen|
|Composition by||Alan Menken|
|Produced by||Howard Ashman & John Musker|
|Voice:||Jodi Benson, Rene Auberjonois, Christopher Daniel Barnes, Pat Carroll, Paddi Edwards, Buddy Hackett, Jason Marin, Kenneth Mars, Ben Wright, Samuel E. Wright, Edie McClurg & Will Ryan|
Academy Awards 1989 - Best Original Score: Alan Menken
Academy Awards 1989 - Best Original Song: Alan Menken & Howard Ashman
You could wish upon a star and not conjure up a more joyous animated movie than this graceful retelling of the Hans Christian Andersen tale. Full Review
Rating: 10/10 -- All together, it makes for an incredibly entertaining and empowering film, a classic that I never tire of watching. Full Review
Rating: 4/4 -- Everything is just right in this cheerful adaptation of the Hans Christian Andersen tale ... In addition to reviving the animated art form, The Little Mermaid also brought melody back to the movies. Full Review
...The animators fill the water with shimmers and sparkles, wraiths of weed and shiny crops of coral, and they create amazing illusions of underwater movement...
Los Angeles Times
Rating: 3/4 -- Now occupies a very special place in the pantheon as the film that gave birth to a new Disney era. Full Review
From the Front Row
Rating: 4/4 -- The latest Disney offering looks back to the studio's unrivaled heritage. It has the look of classic animation. More important, it has the skill required to make it work. Full Review
The Little Mermaid -- impudent, grandiose, a multilevel crowd-pleaser -- almost returns the Disney animated features to their glory traditions of the '30s and '40s. Full Review
Los Angeles Times
Mermaids are supposed to stay under the sea, but Ariel, a headstrong teenager, longs to be part of the magical world on land. When she falls in love with a human prince, Ariel strikes a bargain with the diabolical Sea Witch to win the prince's love. THE LITTLE MERMAID is a beautiful splash of art and music that revived the classic Disney tradition.
THE LITTLE MERMAID is Disney's animated version of the Hans Christian Andersen fairy tale about a mermaid who falls in love with a handsome prince whom she rescues from drowning. Disobeying her father, lord of a great sea kingdom, the mermaid makes a deal with an evil enchantress. In exchange for a pair of legs, the mermaid must sacrifice her exquisite voice to the witch, who, unbeknownst to the mermaid, uses it to beguile the prince into marrying her.
Classic | Fantasy | High Seas | Switching Roles | Teenage | Love Story | Recommended | Undersea | Theatrical Release | Disney Film
- Theatrical release: November 17, 1989.
Rereleased November 14, 1997.
- THE LITTLE MERMAID is the 28th full-length animated feature from Walt Disney Pictures.
- Alyssa Milano confirmed to Premiere magazine that her body was used as the inspiration for Ariel.
- Shot in 70mm; color by Technicolor.
- THE LITTLE MERMAID is the 28th animated feature to carry the Disney name and was originally released in theaters November 17, 1989.
- David Dunnet was the layout supervisor and Donald Towns was the backgrounds superior.
- Budget estimate $20 million.
- Rated BBFC by the British Board of film censors.
- The original Hans Christian Anderson story, "Little Mermaid," was published in 1836.
- 25 special effects artists and animators were used to create the special water effects of the film. Over 400 artists and technicians were used to make the film, overall.
- The making of the film produced nearly 150,000 painted cells, 1,100 backgrounds, 1 million drawings (including sketches, pencil animations, and layouts) and 7,000 feet of hand-drawn film, and utilized more than 1,000 different colors.
- The two-and-a-half-minute storm scene in which the prince's ship runs aground took eight weeks to choreograph.
- Two-thirds of the film is set underwater.
An American Tail: The Treasure of Manhattan Island
$5.58 Spring Sale
4-Movie Family Fun Pack - American Tail: The Treasure of...
$6.99 Spring Sale
March of the Wooden Soldiers (Includes Colorized and B&W...
$4.98 Spring Sale
Disney - Little Mermaid - Sebastian & Flounder Salt &...
$15.18 Spring Sale
Vandor Disney The Little Mermaid Sculpted Ceramic Cookie...
$51.98 Spring Sale
Disney - Little Mermaid - Let Courage Lead the Way Refined...
$7.58 Spring Sale
Disney - Little Mermaid - Ariel & Flounder Ceramic Teapot
$32.78 Spring Sale
Disney - The Little Mermaid - Ariel & Friends - Cardboard...
$34.95 Spring Sale