Jazz Giants Play Sammy Cahn
by Various Artists
|You Save:||$15 (75% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 2-5 business days
- Fantasy Warehouse Clearance Sale product may be specifically marked for one-way sale
- Released: November 2, 1999
- Originally Released: 2002
- Label: Prestige
- 1.Wonder Why - Milt Jackson
- 2.Be My Love - Kenny Dorham (Take 2)
- 3.Until the Real Thing Comes Along - Coleman Hawkins
- 4.Please Be Kind - Art Tatum
- 5.I'll Walk Alone - Art Farmer
- 6.I Should Care - Joe Pass
- 7.All the Way - Oliver Nelson
- 8.Time After Time - John Coltrane
- 9.It's You or No One - Max Roach
- 10.Things We Did Last Summer, The - Bill Holman
- 11.If It's the Last Thing I Do - Hank Crawford
- 12.Teach Me Tonight - Count Basie / Oscar Peterson
- 13.Second Time Around - Bill Evans
- 14.Pete Kelly's Blues - Cal Tjader
Producers include: Bob Weinstock, Norman Granz, Eric Miller, Esmond Edwards, Orrin Keepnews.
Compilation producer: Eric Miller.
Recorded between December 1953 and April 1996. Includes liner notes by Ted Panken.
Digitally remastered by Kirk Felton (1999, Fantasy Studios, Berkeley, California).
Personnel: Joe Pass, Kenny Burrell, Melvin Sparks (guitar); Hank Crawford, Oliver Nelson (alto saxophone); Coleman Hawkins, Harold Land, John Coltrane, Richie Kamuca (tenor saxophone); Jimmy Heath, Bill Holman (baritone saxophone); Conte Candoli, Kenny Dorham, Art Farmer, Ed Leddy, Booker Little (trumpet); Frank Rosolino (trombone); Ray Draper (tuba); Manuel Duran , Horace Silver, Walter Bishop, Sr., Oscar Peterson, Ray Bryant, Art Tatum, Wynton Kelly, Vince Guaraldi (piano); Connie Kay, Idris Muhammad, Kenny Clarke, Max Roach, Osie Johnson, Roy Haynes, Stan Levey (drums); Luis Miranda (congas).
Audio Remasterer: Kirk Felton.
Recording information: Group IV Recording Studio, Hollywood, CA (05/20/1955-12/??/1958); New York, NY (05/20/1955-12/??/1958); Radio Records, Hollywood, CA (05/20/1955-12/??/1958); Van Gelder Studio, Hackensack, NY (05/20/1955-12/??/1958).
Arrangers: Hank Crawford; Bill Holman.
An excellent entry in Prestige's excellent Jazz Giants songbook series, The Jazz Giants Play Sammy Cahn: It's Magic largely lives up to the subtitle. At best, Cahn is at the front of the second string of the great pre-rock Tin Pan Alley songwriters, but this well-chosen collection hits the high points of his catalog. Cal Tjader's Latin-tinged version of "Pete Kelly's Blues," for example, sits beautifully next to Max Roach's hard bopping take on "It's You or No One," testament to the versatility of Cahn's songwriting partners, most frequently Jimmy Van Heusen and Jule Styne. And with a list like Bill Evans (a lovely small-combo version of "Second Time Around") and Joe Pass (an equally spare and heartfelt "I Should Care"), the quality of the album is obvious. The twin highlights, however, are Coleman Hawkins' swinging "Until the Real Thing Comes Along" and a little-known but wonderful small-combo version of the classic "Teach Me Tonight," featuring Count Basie and Oscar Peterson on dueling pianos. ~ Stewart Mason
- Sales Rank: 21,904
- UPC: 025218522625
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
WCBS FM101.1 - Great Ladies of Rock & Roll - The 70s TOP 25 Bestselling CD
$4.98 on Sale
The Music...The Mem'ries...The Magic! [Deluxe Ed.] (2-CD) TOP 25 Bestselling CD
$4.98 on Sale
The Christmas Collection: All the Music You'll Need This... TOP 25 Bestselling CD
$3.98 on Sale
Best of Chicago Garage Bands - The Quill Records Story
$4.98 on Sale