|SUPER SAVINGS:||$13 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$1.98 (13% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 3-5 business days
- Rated: R
- Closed captioning available
- Run Time: 1 hours, 59 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: May 30, 2000
- Originally Released: 1999
- Label: Universal Studios
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Packaging: Keep Case
- Single Side - Dual Layer
- Aspect Ratio: Anamorphic Widescreen - 2.35
- Aspect Ratio: Letterbox - 2.35
- Dolby Digital 3.0 - French
- Dolby Digital 5.1 - English
- DTS Surround 5.1 - English
- Additional Release Material:
- Alternate Scenes: Deleted Scenes
- Behind the Scenes:
- "On the Moon: Behind the Moonlight"
- "Spotlight on Location: The Making Of MAN ON THE MOON"
- Original Theatrical Trailer
- R.E.M. - "Man on the Moon"
- R.E.M. - "The Great Beyond"
- Scene Selection
- Hidden Features
- Biographies: Andy Kaufman - Subject
Performers, Cast and Crew:
|Starring||Jim Carrey, Danny DeVito, Courtney Love & Paul Giamatti|
|Performer:||Vincent Schiavelli, Leslie Lyles, Peter Bonerz & Norm MacDonald|
|Directed by||Milos Forman|
|Edited by||Lynzee Klingman, Adam Boome & Christopher Tellefsen|
|Screenwriting by||Larry Karaszewski & Scott Alexander|
|Cameo:||Paul Shaffer, Marilu Henner, Lorne Michaels, David Letterman, Carol Kane, Judd Hirsch, Christopher Lloyd & Jerry Lawler|
|Produced by||Danny DeVito, Stacey Sher & Michael Shamberg|
|Director of Photography:||Anastas Michos|
Rating: 4/5 -- Entertaining biopic has strong language, brief nudity. Full Review
Common Sense Media
We're constantly kept guessing as to what's real or false. Intriguing. Full Review
...What is most wonderful about MAN ON THE MOON, a very good film, is that it remains true to Kaufman's stubborn vision....The film has a heroic performance from Jim Carrey...
I really do feel Jim Carey deserved at least an Oscar nomination for his performance...Man on the Moon is fascinating, really well acted and really well directed. Full Review
The main problem with this film though is the running time -- it's too short. Full Review
Rating: 3/4 -- Carrey gets inside Kaufman's skin. Full Review
...Carrey scores mightily in an eerily spectacular make-or-break performance that nails the public persona of [Andy Kaufman]...
In a remarkable and touching performance, Jim Carrey tones down his usual idiosyncrasies to play late avant garde comedian Andy Kaufman in MAN ON THE MOON. In life, Kaufman was a complex, controversial, and, at times, insane performer, and Carrey captures this, as well as the subtle nuances of his more toned-down private life. Director Milos Forman stages faithful recreations of Kaufman's pranks, method-like immersion in characters, and even scenes from TAXI, the hit TV show that made him a star, but also follows the comedian through his tragic diagnosis with cancer and his loving relationship with his girlfriend Lynne Margulies (Courtney Love). Danny DeVito, Kaufman's real-life TAXI co-star, plays George Shapiro, the manager who discovers him and is willing to put up with all his antics, acknowledging Andy's wry genius. Along the way on his self-made rocky road of stardom, Kaufman reinvents himself as a foreign man who mangles jokes, and as Elvis; lip-syncs the MIGHTY MOUSE cartoon theme after a full minute of dead air time on Saturday Night Live; becomes a "professional" wrestler, and subsequently manages to sabotage his TV career. The supporting cast in MAN ON THE MOON is excellent, including Paul Giamatti has his comedic partner-in-crime, and many members of the real cast of TAXI.
- The title MAN ON THE MOON refers to an R.E.M. song about Andy Kaufman from the album AUTOMATIC FOR THE PEOPLE.
- Director Forman could not decide between Edward Norton and Jim Carrey for the lead role, so he left it up to the studio.
- Jim Carrey and Andy Kaufman were both born on January 17.
- The role of Andy's sister, Carol Kaufman, was played by Andy's granddaughter, Brittany Colonna.
Beyond the Mat (Ringside Special Ed. - Unrated Director's...
$8.70 Super Savings
Andy Kaufman: I'm From Hollywood / My Breakfast With Blassie
$10.80 Super Savings
Please Murder Me (1956) / A Life At Stake (1954) (Film Noir...
$5.95 on Sale
Mr. Wong Detective - The Complete Collection (Mr. Wong...
$16.95 on Sale
The Haunted Castle (1921) / Wolf Blood (1925) (Silent)
$5.95 on Sale