|You Save:||$2.39 (16% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Rated: Not Rated
- Closed captioning available
- Run Time: 2 hours, 37 minutes
- Video: Color
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Released: March 20, 2007
- Originally Released: 1961
- Label: Sony Pictures
- 2-Disc Set
- Aspect Ratio: Anamorphic Widescreen - 2.35
- Aspect Ratio: Full Frame - 1.33
- Dolby Digital Mono 5.1 - English
- Dubbed - Portuguese, Spanish - Optional
- Subtitles - English - Closed Captioned
- Subtitles - French, Portuguese, Spanish - Optional
- Additional Release Material:
- Audio Commentary: Stephen J. Rubin - Film Historian; Carl Foreman - Screenwriter
- "Forging the Guns of Navarone": Notes from the Set
- "Ironic Epic of Heroism"
- "Memories of Navarone"
- "A Heroic Score"
- "Great Guns"
- "No Visitors"
- "Honeymoon on Rhodes"
- "Two Girls on the Town"
- Roadshow Intermission
Performers, Cast and Crew:
|Starring||Gregory Peck, David Niven & Anthony Quinn|
|Performer:||Gia Scala, Stanley Baker & Anthony Quayle|
|Directed by||J. Lee Thompson|
|Edited by||Alan Osbiston|
|Screenwriting by||Carl Foreman|
|Composition by||Dimitri Tiomkin|
|Produced by||Carl Foreman|
|Director of Photography:||Oswald Morris|
Academy Awards 1961 - Best Picture
Academy Awards 1961 - Best Sound Effects
Academy Awards 1961 - Best Special Effects
Rating: C -- It was forgettable but highly entertaining. Full Review
Ozus' World Movie Reviews
Rating: 4.5/5 -- The Guns of Navarone has long been a big-time favorite of the war-movie aficionados, and the film still holds up resoundingly well today. Full Review
Rating: 4/4 -- Beautifully paced, this 156-minute classic allows enough time for character development, plot complications (including the requisite double-cross by a member of the outfit) and several exciting set-pieces. Full Review
Rating: 4/5 -- Another classic WW2 epic. Suspense, espionage, and some big BIG guns.
...[A] rip-roaring boys' own adventure...
Sight and Sound
Rating: 4/5 -- Great old-fashioned war thriller
Mountain Xpress (Asheville, NC)
Rating: 5/5 -- Superior WWII spectacle
Kansas City Kansan
One of the great war movies of all time, with an all star cast, and a gripping plot--based on the Alistair MacLean novel. A commando team is sent to a Greek Island to destroy the giant guns of World War II Germany which are controlling a strategic channel in the Aegean Sea. This was a groundbreaker in the Special Effects department, too. Academy Award Nominations: 7, including Best Picture, Best Director, Best (Adapted) Screenplay. Academy Awards: Best Special Effects.
A specialized commando team is organized in 1943, during WWII, to sabotage and put out of commission the Axis firepower on the mountainous Greek island of Navarone in the Aegean Sea.
- Produced at Shepperton Studios, and Associated British Studios, Elstree, UK; color by Eastmancolor; shot in CinemaScope.
- Cleo Scouloudi played the Bride and Nicholas Papakonstantinou played the Patrol Boat Captain.
- In 1993, this version was replaced by a newly-restored version.
The restored version (VHS #72123) replaces the older videocassette version, which is no longer available from Columbia TriStar Home Video.
- Available to buy in the UK (widescreen version).
5 Classic War Films (Bitter Victory / The Prisoner /... (DVD)
$6.98 Winter Sale
WWII - Pearl Harbor and the War in the Pacific, Volume 2... (DVD)
$3.18 Winter Sale
- Sales Rank: 2,074
- UPC: 043396163232
- Shipping Weight: 0.29/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
In Harm's Way
WWI - 100th Anniversary Collection: 20 Documentaries (6-DVD) TOP 25 Bestselling DVD
$4.98 Winter Sale
5 Classic War Films (Bitter Victory / The Prisoner /...
$6.98 Winter Sale