The most controversial film you will see this year.
|You Save:||$0.95 (5% Off)|
Out of Print: Future availability is unknown
item number: 3FE4X
- Rated: R
- Run Time: 1 hours, 39 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: January 13, 2015
- Originally Released: 1986
- Label: KL Studios Classics
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Note: Audio commentary by director Tim Hunter
- Original theatrical trailer
- Aspect Ratio: Widescreen - 1.85
- Dolby Digital - English
- Subtitles - English
Performers, Cast and Crew:
|Starring||Keanu Reeves, Crispin Glover, Ione Skye, Daniel Roebuck & Dennis Hopper|
|Performer:||Leo Rossi, Jim Metzler, Joshua Miller, Roxana Zal, Tom Bower & Taylor Negron|
|Directed by||Tim Hunter|
|Screenwriting by||Neal Jimenez|
|Composition by||Jürgen Knieper|
|Cinematography by||Frederick Elmes|
|Produced by||Sarah Pillsbury & Midge Sanford|
|Executive Production by||Derek Gibson & John Daly|
Rating: 1/5 -- The silliest work of the '80s. Full Review
The triumph of this bleak, unsettling picture is that, no matter how grim it gets, it's far too involving for you to turn away. Full Review
There are some good, frightening scenes of volatile lunacy, but the whole thing badly lacks a controlling distance and perspective. Full Review
An unusually downbeat and depressing youth pic. Full Review
Rating: A -- A powerful sociological film on white teenage alienation in small-town America, that is even more amazing that it's based on an actual event. Full Review
Ozus' World Movie Reviews
Rating: 3.5/4 -- One of the most haunting films of the 1980s, River's Edge looks at a suburban, postpunk generation which has no causes, no morals, no feelings, and, worst of all, no future. Full Review
Rating: 3/5 -- A Film you'll never forget....Crispin Glover and Ione Skye are unforgettable
Based on a real life incident, this disturbing drama serves as a seminal study of disillusioned and alienated youth. Set in a small rural town, the local clique of slacker teens is pulled apart when Samson (Daniel Roebuck) kills his girlfriend on the banks of the river and then callously shows off the dead body to his friends. The teens are so numb and ambivalent to the reality of their situation that they remain relatively unphased by the murder of one of their own. Crispin Glover is brilliant as the drugged out paranoid, Layne, who sympathizes with the killer, and plots to hide him at the house of an eccentric recluse (Dennis Hopper), who is rumored to have comitted a similar crime in the 1960s. Keanu Reeves and Ione Skye co-star as Matt and Clarissa, two friends who are drawn together in their realization that something is horribly wrong. In this startling portrait of a morally void society, director Tim Hunter creates a remarkable world of dysfunction and dead-end lives that is haunting in its accuracy.
A chilling and visually arresting drama that centers on a close-knit group of slacker teenagers who discover that one of their own has killed his girlfriend. Emotionally unprepared and ambivalent, they must struggle between friendship and responsibility before deciding to report the murder. Based on a real-life incident, this darkly disturbing portrait of amoral teens lost in a small town with no escape became an instant cult-classic. The excellent ensemble cast features Crispin Glover, Dennis Hopper, Ione Skye, and Keanu Reeves.
- Screened at the World Film Festival in Montreal, Canada in August, 1986.
- Theatrical release in New York City: May 8, 1987.
- RIVER'S EDGE is based on a real life incident that occurred in Milpitas, California, in 1981.
- Screenwriter Neal Jiminez wrote the screenplay for RIVER'S EDGE in 1981, but could not get financing for the project until 1987.
Additional cast: Josh Richman (Tony), Constance Forslund and Danyi Deats.
- Additional credits: Richard Hanley (assistant director).
- Co-produced by Palace.
- Color by Metrocolor.
- The film was primarily inspired by a real-life incident that took place in Milpitas, California in 1981.
- UPC: 738329142926
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item