A Bridge Too Far (Blu-ray)
|SUPER SAVINGS:||$9.80 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$3.18 (24% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 3-5 business days
Blu-ray Disc Features:
- Rated: PG
- Run Time: 2 hours, 56 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: May 19, 2009
- Originally Released: 1977
- Label: Mgm (Video & Dvd)
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Packaging: Keep Case
- Aspect Ratio: Widescreen - 2.35
- 5.1 DTS HD Master Audio - English
- Dolby Digital 5.1 - French, Spanish
- Subtitles - Cantonese, French, Korean, Spanish - Optional
- Additional Release Material:
- Cross Promotion Trailers
- Original Theatrical Trailers - 1. Battle of Britain
Performers, Cast and Crew:
|Performer:||James Caan, Michael Caine, Sean Connery, Edward Fox, Elliott Gould, Gene Hackman, Laurence Olivier & Denholm Elliott|
|Directed by||Richard Attenborough|
|Edited by||Antony Gibbs|
|Screenwriting by||William Goldman|
|Composition by||John Addison|
|Director of Photography:||Geoffrey Unsworth|
Rating: 2/4 -- The movie's big and expensive and filled with stars, but it's not an epic. It's the longest B-grade war movie ever made. Full Review
Rating: 2/4 -- A movie too long. Full Review
Rating: 3.5/4 -- Consistently reinforces the horrors of war by depicting not only the disasterous military engagements and their toll on heroes, but also the witless political decisions that led to needless, excessive loss of life. [Blu-Ray] Full Review
...Certainly equal to Darryl F. Zanuck's THE LONGEST DAY....One watches it not so much in admiration as in awe...
New York Times
Futility and frustration are the overriding emotional elements in A Bridge Too Far, Joseph E. Levine's sprawling Second World War production. Full Review
Rating: 2/4 -- It would seem impossible to go wrong with such an incredible, all-star cast - which makes A Bridge Too Far such a frustrating misfire (no pun intended). Full Review
Rating: D -- A very long slog. Full Review
Richard Attenborough's ambitious, all-star adaptation (by William Goldman) of Cornelius Ryan's book, gives an account of the Battle of Arnhem. In 1944, the Allied powers attempt to expedite the end of the war with a costly operation to capture six bridges connecting Holland to Germany ended in Allied defeat. A multitude of notables star in Attenborough's epic.
Director Richard Attenborough's ambitious, all-star, adaptation of Cornelius Ryan's book, dealing with the true account of the Battle of Arnhem. In 1944, the Allied powers attempted to expedite the end of the war by planning an ambitious and costly operation (the capturing of six bridges connecting Holland to Germany) that ended up getting bungled by both the Allied and Axis powers.
- Film was originally rated R by the MPAA, but won a PG on appeal.
- Color by Technicolor, deluxe prints. Shot in Panavision.
- Budget estimate $24 million.
- Additional cast: Peter Faber, Frank Grimes, and Christopher Good.
- Additional credits: Richard Bamber (2nd unit production manager), Ronnie Sloan (chief hairdresser), John Hilling (wardrobe master), Margaret Levin (wardrobe mistress), Connie Willis (continuity), Steve Lanning, Peter Waller, and Geoffrey Ryan (assistant directors), Dave Waterman and John Partington-Smith (parachute photography), and Joe Caroff (titles).
- Rated BBFC A by the British Board of Film Censors.
- DVD Special Features: 8-page Book Featuring Trivia, Production Notes and a Look Behind the Scenes, Theatrical Trailer